March 13th, 2009 Jamie
I know we just went over my top 5 Facebook Privacy Settings, but I wanted to write another quick post about Facebook because–TA DA!–Surviving College Life finally has a facebook fan page! Hooray!
So please +FAN the site , and feel free to post your ideas or requests for future posts on the fan site Wall. This site is all about you guys–I want to hear from you!
And now, on to the 5 more awesome settings…
1. Get LESS Info About Friends. I love Facebook gossip as much as the next girl, but I do have a few friends who seem to be changing their profile and updating their statuses incessantly. (I don’t need a play-by-play of each breath!) Happily, Facebook lets you ask to hear a little less from these peeps.
How To: At the top of your feed, click Options for News Feeds. At the bottom-right of the page, you’ll see Less About These Friends. Just enter in the names of the TMI addicts and you’re good to go.
2. Get MORE Info About Friends. Clearly, this is the flipside of the “less info” option, and it allows you to get more and more details about the people you care about most, like your new crush, your BFF, or your ex.
How To: At the top of your feed, click Options for News Feeds. At the bottom-left of the page, you’ll see More About These Friends. Enter their names, and voila! You’re done.
3. Make a Badge. Want to link to your profile from your blog or website? Facebook has a built-in badge maker so you can list your profile pic, contact info & etc. all with a handy link to your Facebook page.
How To: Go to your profile and scroll down to the bottom of the left-hand bar (the one with your profile pic in it). Click on Make a Badge. You can either use a template they already have, or create your own. Copy & paste the HTML they give you into a widget on your blog or a spot on your site.
4. Mobile Facebook. If you are a true Facebook-aholic, activate your phone-to-Facebook feature. It will send you txt notifications of friend requests, messages, wall posts, and status updates. Plus, it allows you to make status updates on the go, or upload photos and videos right from your phone.
How To: Go to Settings > Account Settings and select the Mobile tab. Enter your phone number and carrier, and activate it! (Remember that standard text fees will apply to this feature.)
5. Edit Application Settings. I hate getting spamy emails from the applications I’ve added to my facebook page–little did I know you can edit all those settings! Each application had different options, so you can go in and edit each app’s authority to post stories about how you’ve used it, when it can email you, etc. Hooray for less spam!
How To: Go to Settings > Application Settings and click the Edit Settings link beside the application. Choose the settings you want, and click Okay. Now pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
Happy Facebooking, and remember to add Surviving College Life to your fandom list!
Entry Filed under: social life