October 6th, 2009 Jamie
Reader Marissa linked to some pics of her electrically gorgeous dorm room from my recent post on amazing DIY dorm decor. I loved it so much I asked if she would let me feature it, and lucky for us she was game.
So, let’s talk about what I LOVE about Marissa’s space:
1. Color Crazy. I think you’d have to agree, there are no holds barred when it comes to color in Marissa’s space–but she (her side has the striped bed) and her roomie stick with a pr consistent palette of greens, blues, pinks, and oranges. It’s just enough to spice up those white white white walls–a big pick-me-up during long hours of studying.
2. Twinkle Twinkle. I adore the spunky, sassy lighting Marissa has going on. The pink + orange goes with her palette, and helps raise the height of the room by redirecting your eye upward. They give the space warmth AND make it feel bigger.
3. Dorm Zen. You know I love me some Dorm Zen, and Marissa’s collection of plant life (real and faux) along the top of her desk help to ground her busy study center.
4. Texture. This room abounds with texture–from the woven rug to the unusual shapes of the hanging lanterns. I love the quilting on the comforter, and the matte finish of the fabric against the glossy sheen of magazine pages…
5. Personality. And speaking of magazines, did you guys check out this amazing inspiration wall? Marissa covered up the blah white paint with photos that inspire her, in essence wallpapering her dreams and goals right over her bed–talk about a great (and cute!) motivator. All kinds of other personal touches–from stuffed animals to photos and cards–show she’s made herself at home.
A big thanks to Marissa for sharing her space with us!
Want to see your dorm room featured on Surviving College Life? Leave a comment, or shoot me an email at jamie(at)survivingcollegelife.com.
Entry Filed under: dorm room